Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happiness is Living Life to its Fullest

Do you get up in the morning and look at a world in black and white or do you see it in technicolour? What determines how we look at our surroundings? Do we feel happy to be alive; glad to face another day? Or is it just one more day to somehow get through?

When we live in technicolour, the sun is shining – even if it’s raining – because we know that rain doesn’t last forever and the sun is bound to be shining somewhere. And when you walk down the street with a smile on your face, have you ever noticed how many people smile back at you? That if you say ‘hello, how are you today?’ to the person sitting next to you on the bus, they are usually only too happy for a friendly conversation.

However, this does open up the door to all sorts of conversations, both good and bad. I once smiled and said hello to a man who I later found out was just out of jail for attempted murder. But I also talked occasionally to a man on my bus that, with his wife, had exchange students from around the world and we had some very interesting conversations. A lady I met occasionally at the bus stop worked in a bank and while talking to her I was surprised to find out how often banks are held up. I have talked to people on chance meetings by only smiling and saying hello and have been told interesting stories of their lives. One elderly lady, when I asked about her accent, told me she had lived as a girl in Siberia and later in Iran before coming to Canada.

How much we would miss in life if we didn’t open ourselves up to others. Talking to those we meet in chance meetings and letting them tell their stories, may put a smile on their faces, but I think almost certainly on ours as well.

Never do I come home without a story to tell of either something I have heard or seen in my adventures of the day. Living life in technicolour makes getting up each morning interesting; we never know what will happen, what new conversations we will have, or how many new people we will meet.

We all have the choice of whether to live in a black and white world or not but life holds so many opportunities and excitement for those who choose to live their life in technicolour.

No comments:

Post a Comment