Saturday, March 27, 2010

Shaped By a Child

Often children see life more clearly than grown-ups do. For adults, life is often viewed with all the fuzzy edges that experience, disappointments and living have wrapped around their outlook. But if we really listen to the children in our lives, we will realize that they often 'get it' before we do. We look for the hidden meanings, the double meanings and the nuances. With kids the obvious is right there before their eyes and everything is taken at face value. Children show the world their true selves. What a lesson for adults!

Children take the time to enjoy the simple things in life. While walking with my grandson we have watched crabs scurrying for cover when rocks have been overturned and have marveled at a snake undulating through waves and over rocks. These are things, had I been walking on my own, I would likely not have noticed or taken the time to watch. How sad to have lost the capacity to enjoy the simple things in life.

One of the most exciting things for children to do is to go trick 'or' treating on Hallowe'en. For children it is not the ordeal we see it as. We view it as having to walk around in the freezing cold or rainy weather. For a child it is the excitement of dressing up, the wonder of what they'll get at each house they visit, being together with mom or dad, and the excitement of sharing this time with friends.

Also, going to look at Christmas light displays is magical for children. If we look at the displays through the eyes of our children, we will feel the magic of animated snowmen, Santa Clauses, reindeer prancing across lawns and Christmas music; the happiest of all music. When we get into the spirit of the Christmas magic as children do, we may be able to remember the excitement we once felt from our earliest memories of Christmases passed.

Spending time with my grandchildren has opened my eyes and helped me view life through their eyes. When my grandson helps me in my garden he is learning the difference between plants and weeds, how to harvest seeds for next year and how to pick the vegetables we grow. And I am learning how my grandchild feels about the snails we find on the plants and what he thinks as we watch their antennas disappear when they are disturbed.

When we go for walks, he is learning the difference between maple and oak leaves, how many shapes and sizes of pine cones there are, what kind of sea life there is on the beach and the color a worm becomes when it wiggles through a mud puddle. I am learning that we don't always have to hurry, we don't have to end up where we originally thought we'd go, that there are many little flowers in a seemingly flowerless area of grass and it really is nice to feed the seagulls.

When we do craft projects together, they are learning coordination, another new skill, the enjoyment of art, the experience of new accomplishments and that there are a lot of interesting things to do. I am learning there are many different ways to do things, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there is a perfect spot for each 'work of art'. I am also appreciating the capabilities of young children without my adult expectations.

When we snuggle together to read or watch a video, they are learning about love, family, warmth and good times and I am renewing my appreciation for the miracle of a child. Time spent with my grandchildren has helped us develop rituals. Through these rituals they gain a sense of belonging and I enjoy time shared with my grandchildren.

Life takes on meaning when viewed from a child's perspective. Children have enthusiasm and excitement for what we consider just everyday situations. They are always ready for the next adventure. They revel in a smile and a hug; they know that love and time spent together is more important than material possessions, climbing a corporate ladder or buying an expensive new car or house. From watching my children and grandchildren I have learned that llife is for living, not amassing and it is for doing the best I can in the time I have. It is living life in such a way that hopefully I will leave a legacy of love behind me. It will mean looking into the eyes of the children who have been in my life and seeing the true meaning of life reflected back to me. If I manage to accomplish this, I think I will have been a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment