Saturday, April 4, 2009

Hidden Away In The Schuswaps

We came upon it quite by accident. The Malakwa Suspension Bridge spans the Eagle River, near Salmon Arm, which flows from the Schuwap Lake. Built in 1915, it allowed farmers to be connected to other farms in the area, to the community and the school system. It was rebuilt by the Ministry of Highways in 1940.

Simply built and looking old, I was leery about making those first tentative steps across its uneven surface. Cautiously I started along the rough boards; going only a few feet at a time I looked down at the beautiful emerald colours beneath me. As I slowly made my way across, I wondered about the many things this bridge had seen since its conception; the transportation of goods and friendly visits with neighbours. It was sturdily built and halfway across, I began to feel quite comfortable with my adventure although not as confident as I'm sure those early farmers had felt. This simple wooden bridge had opened up their world and expanded their opportunities. It had been a lifeline to them.

Other Old Bridges

The Old Alexandra Bridge in Yale, B.C.

Since the Cariboo Gold Rush Days in the 1860's, a bridge as spanned the Fraser River at the same location - 14 miles north of Yale on Highway 1 in the Fraser Canyon. The original, a suspension bridge was built in 1862. A second bridge was washed out in a flood in 1887. The replacement was built in 1925 and was used until 1965 when a new four lane bridge was built further downstream.

Walking across the bridge with open grid beneath my feet, I was a little disconcerted to see the Fraser rushing below me. Finally, after making it safely across to the other side, we discovered that the path no longer led anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment